Published on October 23, 2020
This simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for Masala-Spiced Potatoes is rich in flavorful Indian spices, such as cumin, chilis, garlic, coriander, and mango powder. Just cook up the potatoes, then give them a quick pan-frying in a bit of oil, with bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes, along with all of those spices.
I’m truly in love with the flavors of India, and I have learned along the way how to prepare many of these traditional foods during my culinary education. There is a rich plant-based culture in this part of the world, which can inspire so many delicious meals in your own kitchen, as well as an appreciation for the customs and foodways of other people around our big beautiful planet. I like to shine the light on these beautiful global cuisines, in particular some food experts I go to for guidance when it comes to Indian cuisine, including my colleagues Vandana Sheth and Madhu Gadia.
This recipe is so satisfying as a hearty side-dish—it needs no other sauces or accompaniments. I love to serve it as a side with lentil patties or a protein-rich salad or soup. It’s also really good the next day. My family loves it when I cook it up!
This simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for Masala-Spiced Potatoes is rich in flavorful Indian spices, such as cumin, chilis, garlic, coriander, and mango powder.
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks (about 1 1/2-inches)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green chili, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup diced canned tomatoes, drained (or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mango powder (called amchure, available online and in well stocked spice shops)
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Place potatoes in boiling water, cover, and cook until tender yet firm (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking assemble ingredients. Heat oil and cumin seeds for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add bell pepper, chili, garlic, and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes, coriander, garam masala, mango powder, salt (as desired), stirring gently. Turn frequently to avoid sticking. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender and potatoes are golden brown.
Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 84 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Protein: 5 g
For more Indian-flavored plant-based dishes, try:
Chana (Chickpea) Masala with Brown Rice
Edamame Masala Brown Basmati Rice Bowl
Curried Lentil Cauliflower Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.